[To be published in the Gazette of India, Extraordinary, Part II, Section 3, Sub-section(i)]
Government of India
Ministry of Finance
(Department of Revenue)
Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs
Notification No. 79 /2020 – Central Tax
New Delhi, the 15th October, 2020
G.S.R……(E). – In exercise of the powers conferred by section 164 of the Central Goods andServices Tax Act, 2017 (12 of 2017), the Central Government, on recommendations of theCouncil, hereby makes the following rules further to amend the Central Goods and ServicesTax Rules, 2017, namely: –
1. Short title and commencement. – (1) These rules may be called the Central Goods andServices Tax (Twelveth Amendment) Rules, 2020.
(2) Save as otherwise provided in these rules, they shall come into force on the date of theirpublication in the Official Gazette.
2. In the Central Goods and Services Tax Rules, 2017 (hereinafter referred to as the said rules),in rule 46, for the first proviso, the following proviso shall be substituted, namely: –
“Provided that the Board may, on the recommendations of the Council, by notification, specify-
(i) the number of digits of Harmonised System of Nomenclature code for goods or services thata class of registered persons shall be required to mention; or
(ii) a class of supply of goods or services for which specified number of digits of HarmonisedSystem of Nomenclature code shall be required to bmentioned by all registered taxpayers; and
(iii) the class of registered persons that would not be required to mention the HarmonisedSystem of Nomenclature code for goods or services:”.
3. In the said rules, for rule 67A, the following rule shall be substituted, namely: –
“67A. Manner of furnishing of return or details of outward supplies by short messagingservice facility.- Notwithstanding anything contained in this Chapter, for a registered personwho is required to furnish a Nil return under section 39 in FORM GSTR-3B or a Nil details ofoutward supplies under section 37 in FORM GSTR-1 or a Nil statement in FORM GSTCMP-08 for a tax period, any reference to electronic furnishing shall include furnishing of thesaid return or the details of outward supplies or statement through a short messaging service
using the registered mobile number and the said return or the details of outward supplies orstatement shall be verified by a registered mobile number based One Time Password facility.
Explanation. – For the purpose of this rule, a Nil return or Nil details of outward supplies or Nilstatement shall mean a return under section 39 or details of outward supplies under section 37or statement under rule 62, for a tax period that has nil or no entry in all the Tables in FORMGSTR-3B or FORM GSTR-1 or FORM GST CMP-08, as the case may be.”.
4. In the said rules, in rule 80, in sub-rule (3), for the proviso, the following proviso shall besubstituted, namely: –
“Provided that for the financial year 2018-2019 and 2019-2020, every registered person whoseaggregate turnover exceeds five crore rupees shall get his accounts audited as specified undersub-section (5) of section 35 and he shall furnish a copy of audited annual accounts and areconciliation statement, duly certified, in FORM GSTR-9C for the said financial year,
electronically through the common portal either directly or through a Facilitation Centrenotified by the Commissioner.”.
5. In the said rules, with effect from the 20th day of March, 2020, in rule 138E, after the thirdproviso, the following proviso shall be inserted, namely: –
“Provided also that the said restriction shall not apply during the period from the 20th day ofMarch, 2020 till the 15th day of October, 2020 in case where the return in FORM GSTR-3B orthe statement of outward supplies in FORM GSTR-1 or the statement in FORM GST CMP08, as the case may be, has not been furnished for the period February, 2020 to August, 2020.”.
6. In the said rules, in rule 142, in sub-rule (1A), –
(i) for the words “proper officer shall”, the words “proper officer may” shall be substituted;
(ii) for the words “shall communicate”, the word “communicate” shall be substituted.
7. In the said rules, in FORM GSTR-1, against serial number 12, in the Table, in column 6, inthe heading, for the words “Total value”, the words “Rate of Tax” shall be substituted.
8. In the said rules, for FORM GSTR-2A, the following form shall be substituted, namely: –