GSTN launches SMS facility for Nil Filing of GSTR-1,
Appeals taxpayers to send SMS in the prescribed format
- – 12 lakh Taxpayers would be benefitted
- – Facility of filing GSTR-3B through SMS has already been provided
- – Sending SMS in the prescribed format is necessary to avail facility: GSTN
New Delhi, 1st July 2020: Goods and Services Tax Network (GSTN), the technology backbone of GST system, has launched the facility of NIL filing of GSTR-1 through SMS. This will benefit approximately 12 lakh taxpayers who
can now file their return without login to the GST portal. However, the facility to file return on the portal will also be available as usual. NIL return for the Form GSTR-1 can be filed on a monthly as well as quarterly basis. This is the back to back deployment of SMS facility for filing of NIL retun by GSTN within one month. Since 8th June 2020, taxpayers have already been enabled to file their GSTR-3B return through SMS.
How to file Nil GSTR-1 through SMS
- The Taxpayer has to SMS ‘NIL<R115 digitGSTIN Tax period in MMYYYY format and send it to 14409 from the registered mobile number. For example, for filing a return for the month of April 2020, the taxpayer having GSTIN 09AXXXXXXXXXXZC should send, NIL R1 09AXXXXXXXXXXZC 042020 to 14409. If the return is filed for Apr-Jun 2020 quarter, the taxpayer should send NIL R1 09AXXXXXXXXXXZC 062020.
- After sending the SMS, Taxpayer will receive a six-digit verification code through SMS. The taxpayer hastosenanotherSMSCNF<SPACE>R1<SPACE>06 digit verification code to14409.Forexample if the received verification code is 782503 then he will send: CNFR1 782503 to 14409.
- The Taxpayer will finally receive a success message with Application Reference Number (ARN) indicating that NIL filing of GSTR-1 has been successful. The status of the filed application can also be tracked on the GST Portal by logging into the GSTIN account and navigating to Services>Returns>TRACK RETURN SALE. FORM GSTR-3B can also be filed as Nil by using the same steps as above and using 3B instead of R1.
Mr. Prakash Kumar, CEO of GST Network (GSTN) said, “We strive to enable taxpayers to perform their tax-related activities on their own by making the process as simple as possible. Some common mistakes have been observed while typing and sending the SMS which eventually leads to the unsuccessful filing. We are trying to make taxpayers aware that filing should be done in the prescribed format only to avail the facility.
” The correct format for NIL filing of GSTR-1 is: NIL<SPACE>R1 <SPACE>15 digit GSTIN Tax period in MMYYYY. For example:NIL R1 09AXXXXXXXXXXZC 062020. If the sequence of the message is incomplete or incorrect or not according to the format, filing will be unsuccessful.
The filing of NILForm GSTR-1 can be done anytime on or after the 1st of the subsequent month or quarterfor which the return is being filed. For example, for the month of June 2020, NIL return can be filed only on or after 1st July 2020 and for April-June 2020 Quarter, it could be filed on or after 1st July 2020. More details on the eligibility and procedure for filingNil GSTR-1 return can be found in the help section of the GST portal www.gst.gov.in.